the faithful ramblings a late bloomer. . .

the faithful musings of a four letter word user on a quest for authenticity.

Monday, November 8, 2010

Music Moves Me

Music has always been a huge interest for me. When I was in 3rd grade my class did a performance called “music moves me”. It stuck. When I was 14 years old, I saw a friend dance under a street light to Van Morrison’s “Tupelo Honey”, which set me on a path of finding music that, moved me, the way that song moved me. My love affair with music and watching people being moved by music began with that song. I sincerely pray that when I cross through those pearly gates that Jesus looks just like Ray Lamontagne and that he opens his arms sings “Let it Be Me” to me. Then he’ll crank up the beat and the volume and that we will dance to “You Are The Best Thing”; my response to him.

When the landmine blew up in my face, I knew I needed Jesus to survive the blast; however I was so injured that I couldn’t pray. Everything was such a mess that I didn’t have a clue where to begin praying, but I knew that if I could find the right music that I could somehow connect with Jesus. I remember driving home from work one day and I turned it to the Christian radio station in town. I told Jesus that I really hated Christian music because I found it so cheesy and that I really needed him to change my attitude about it. Shortly after I got the words out of my heart, a melody began that immediately captivated me. And by the end of the song, I knew that Jesus was right there in the car with me and that I was going to be ok. The song was Needtobreathe’s Washed by the Water, a good soulful gospel standard type of tune and just earthy enough for me to like it.

When I got home I immediately downloaded the CD. God has used those songs and their newer material as constant confirmations for me. Anytime I’m wondering about something or seeking his presence either they or Third Day (the only other “Christian” band I’ve ever really liked) come on the radio. The night that he told me to start writing (while I was in a yoga class), I sat down with the computer, turned the TV to one of the adult alternative radio stations and the first song that came on was "Washed by the Water". It wasn't one of the contemporary Christian stations, where I would have expected to hear it, but rather a mainstream station. Good stuff, Jesus, good stuff.

For me music is often how God reveals himself to me. While for others he may become present in many different ways. He told me to “just start writing” when I was taking a yoga class. For others its hikes, walks on the beach, reading, exercising, sitting outside, chatting with friends, or simply in the stillness. I believe that it’s really a personal thing and that you’re best suited to figure out how you best feel God’s presence sooner rather than later. Once you find it, take it to God, and watch the blessings flow.


"Our own songs matter a great deal; each lyric and each refrain. But if we don’t get ours right, we can’t hear anyone else’s song. One of the things that can make us tone deaf to the lyrics of other people’s songs is having our own song either playing too loudly or skipping across the disk – not playing at all. This doesn’t mean that we should engage in endless and paralyzing personal introspection, but we need to settle down and figure out what our own song so that we can help others find theirs." ~ Bob Goff


1 comment:

  1. All of it, so wonderfully refreshing because it's the TRUTH being expressed by one who has an actual tangible relationship with The Creator of every living thing in this universe. When you cross through those pearly gates Jesus will sing your song; you will sing yours in response; y'all will dance and He will say, "Well done my good and faithful servant." Keep sharing your life's testimony with the world as it continues to unfold. We need to hear it and will be better for it. I love you, Mon Cherie. - meL

    ReplyDelete