the faithful ramblings a late bloomer. . .

the faithful musings of a four letter word user on a quest for authenticity.

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Marathon Wrap Up Part 2

She was filing my toe nails when she said the words, I never in my wildest dreams imagined I would hear applying to me.  

“You have runner’s feet”.

Insert record scratch here. Whhhhaaatttt???   “I’m sorry, what did you say?”  She repeated it, and since this was no typical pedicurist, she was perfectly clear in her delivery, and I had, in fact heard her correctly. 

 “You run don’t you?” she said.  

Looking around, realizing she really was directing her question at me, and too that, it actually did apply to me i fumbled for and found  “uh, yeah, i guess, uh yeah, i do.”

I’m pretty sure the sun was shining inside my soul as I processed what she had just said.  I literally felt my chest puffing out and my head becoming three times larger than it's normal circumference.

Four months into training for a half marathon there was there it was.  Physical proof, that I can now add a healthy new hobby to my list that also includes cooking and eating, a lot. I am a runner.

You see, for the first 10 or so years of adulthood, I was pretty lazy. I certainly considered myself lazy, and  I even became pretty overweight at one point.  Fortunately, by the grace of God II realized it pretty quickly and somehow managed to get it off.   Regular exercise, however, wasn't part of the equation.

I began “jogging” when I moved down here five years ago. Inspired by such beautiful surroundings and with more time on my hands, I found that I did enjoy it. On occasion. But generally it was never more than 2 or 3 miles and never with any regularity or accountability.  If I was feeling a little thick, i made time for a few runs and cut back on my food intake a little bit until I started to feel better about myself.  

A year ago or so though, when saying I never imagined myself actually doing a race, one of my friends challenged me just to sign up for a race.  I heard her words ringing in my ears for months, “if you sign up for it, you will train for it” and eventually bit the bullet.

Sure enough she was right.  Apparently, I have a thing for that “go big or go home” mentality though, and I skipped right over local 5k’s or small 10k’s and went right for the big daddy Miami ING Half Marathon. 

After months of training, and anticipation, I completed the race and have lived to tell about it, so, in an effort to encourage others of you who have that same little desire niggling in the back of your brain about wanting to start running or completing a race, tomorrow i'll bring you a fresh list of how I went from feeling like a fatty patty to runner’s feet in 5 steps or less!

To have it directly sent to to your email when it’s posted, click on the rss feed button to subscribe to my blog on the right hand side of the page!  

I'll show you how you, too, can be sportin’ a medal before you know it!



No comments:

Post a Comment